Subject: Re: [boost] [explore] Library Proposal: Container Streaming
From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-01 16:05:24

strasser_at_[hidden] wrote:
> the whole list is up in arms about printing a vector...
>
> Zitat von Jeremy Pack <rostovpack_at_[hidden]>:
>> I agree with Volodya here. In my environment at least, we would not be
>> willing to include all of the serialization headers just to be able to
>> print
>> a vector to the screen.
>
> in my environment, I wouldn`t even be willing to look if there`s a boost
> library that prints a vector for me.
> is printing containers all it does? then it`s argueable just filling an
> omission of the STL container library, and could be part of
> Boost.Container, which is already on the review schedule.
> when both libraries are accepted seperately it would be like boost had
> Boost.Variant and Boost.OutputVariant, DateTime/OutputDateTime, ...
>

> until then, STL can handle most cases:
> copy(V.begin(), V.end(), ostream_iterator<int>(cout, ","));

Not very pretty with that trailing ",", IMHO of course.

Regardless of the approach taken, I think this would be a useful
facility. I've created a similar, albeit much simplified facility for
two separate projects in the last 5 years. There've been several more
projects that could have used the more general facilities that this lib
offers.

Jeff