Subject: Re: [boost] Notice: Boost.Atomic (atomic operations library)
From: Helge Bahmann (hcb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-03 05:41:54

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Vicente Botet Escriba wrote:

> BTW, is your intention to implement the complete interface from the C++0x
> draft standard atomic proposal?

The full interface for the "atomic<T>" template for all permissible
built-in and user-defined types as well as mapping them to
platform-specific atomic operations when possible (almost[1] done),
atomic_flag, and typedefs for all "useful" integral types.

I'm not sure if the free-standing functions are of too much value
(personally I dislike them for C++), I will certainly add them if someone
wants them, but probably it would be preferrable for them not to live in
the root namespace "boost".

There are some subtle limitations to what can be done with
"memory_order_consume" without compiler support, but for all the use-cases
I can currently imagine (e.g. double-checked singleton pattern) it will
fully work as advertised even without.

[1] except for: pointer arithmetic and four-operand compare_exchange_*