Subject: [boost] symbolic links while building boost
From: Zachary Turner (divisortheory_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-03 20:44:07

I use Windows primarily, and typically after building boost, there are two
copies of each library. One with the version extension such as -1_41, and
the other without. My understanding is that the one without the version
number is supposed to be a symlink to the one with the version number on
platforms such as linux, but that on Windows it is just a copy of the file
due to poor support for symlinks in windows.

My question is whether there has been any talk of changing this. Windows
has supported first class symlinks since Vista, so it would seem possible to
have Vista and beyond actually use this functionality and create real
symlinks.

Thoughts?

Zach