Subject: [boost] [rdb, fusion, profile_templates] 0.2.03 - compilation speedup
From: Jean-Louis Leroy (jl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-06 14:10:52

I have uploaded version 0.2.03 to the vault.

No new features this time but improvements in compilation speed. The
test_odbc project took more than 4.5 minutes to build in debug mode
(msvc9, ThinkPad x200s, Intel L9400 with 2 cores @ 1.86 Ghz, 4 Gb RAM)
and...17 minutes on a 2Gb RAM computer ! This was becoming unbearable.

After a run through profile_templates - thanks to Steven Watanabe for
creating this tool ! - I replaced the fusion::maps that were used to
gather clause information in sql statement templates with a simpler,
less flexible, less orthogonal and less capable version of my own. The
result was a 41% speedup (calculated as (old-new)/old) on the 4 Gb
computer and 85% on the 2Gb one.

The number of template instantiations, as reported by profile_templates,
dropped from 86330 to 62771. If someone is interested I can post the
complete profiling reports.

I plan to focus on datetime support now...

Jean-Louis