Subject: Re: [boost] boost_extension
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-07 04:57:19

Hi Christian,

> to get the boost extension movement going how would people feel if we
> create a new project on sourceforge called "boost_extension". This
> will be a placeholder for all extensions to all boost accepted
> libraries. The goal is to have a project structure very similar to
> boost. For instance, all extensions have to have tests, documentation,
> etc supported by bjam. The folder structure will be the same boost,
> like
>
> boost_extension\boost\gil\io
> or
> boost_extension\libs\gil\io\test\
>
> There will be a review process as well. Only accepted libraries will
> be added. Hopefully enough people will be interested in participating.
>
> As, for releasing, again we would model after boost. There will be a
> developing trunk and a release branch. Hopefully within the next
> couple of releases we can sync releases with boost.
>
> I know there is a plethora of issues involving such an effort. Please
> let me know what you think.

I do agree about a well-described structure for extensions. However, I'm
not sure about all of this proposal. This completely separates the
extensions from the libraries, even in releases. Indeed this will cost a
lot of efforts in organization and maintanance.

Why not keep it like it is currently in GIL and in GGL (Boost.Geometry)?
So instead of boost_extension at the root level, have it in
.../boost/LIB/extensions and .../libs/LIB/test/extensions and
.../libs/LIB/example/extensions (and probably the same for doc)? This
way the (reviewed) extensions can be distributed within Boost and are
automatically available for everybody. Besides that, the extensions are
then kept together with the library they extend, which I would prefer.

The non reviewed extensions, and extensions-in-preparation, should live
elsewhere, e.g. in the Sandbox, or maybe indeed at a specific
Extension.Sandbox tree, or at an external resource (as GIL currently
has)? Actually this is then like any Boost library in preparation.

Regards, Barend