Subject: Re: [boost] New libraries deadline approaching
From: Andy Tompkins (atompkins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-07 21:34:26

Hi,

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:30 +0300, "Vladimir Prus" <ghost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:
> Boosters,
>
> the deadline for merge of new libraries to 1.42 is Dec 14. So far, the
> only library that was added to trunk relative to 1.41 is uuid.
>
> Andy, does it seem like merge to release branch is possible by Dec 14?

Yes I think it is quite possible.

> Do you need any assistance?

Yes, I could use some. Read below about the test_generators
failure below.

> It seems that you have succeeded in integrating the tests into the
> regression framework. However, one test -- test_generators, appear to
> fail on all platforms and test_uuid fails on a bunch as well. If the
> test failures are unclear, you might want to ask platform experts for
> help, while there is time.

I have just committed a fix for test_uuid. It is an issue with creating
a hash for a uuid. My test results are for a 32-bit machine. I believe
my fix will now also work for 64-bit machines.

The failure for test_generators is with the name_generator and wide
strings. I have learned that most platforms / compilers have
sizeof(wchar_t) != 2 and I wrote me test for sizeof(wchar_t) == 2. I
believe the results are correct, but my tests don't show that. I push
the bytes of the string through a sha1 function and need the hash to be
the same for the same string regardless of the size of wchar_t (I
believe). I may just remove the wide character support (and place a
example in the docs of how it could be done) until a better solution is
found. Does anyone have another solution?

Regards,
Andy Tompkins