Subject: Re: [boost] Review Wizard report for December 2009
From: Phil Bouchard (philippe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-11 13:45:26

Thorsten Ottosen wrote:

> I would say one of the disadvantages of manual/smart ptr memory
> management is slowness. GC, OTOH is fast. To qoute Herb Sutter:
> "The only thing making .net run faster is GC".

Indeed but this is a processor speed issue since the time taken is
constant as far as the smart pointer is concerned but GC still needs
halting the application to collect once in a while if the GC heap isn't
large enough.

> Maybe so, but you can either provide both or add
>
> make_shifted_alloc<T>( a, ... )

No problem, but if this isn't defined yet perhaps "new_shifted<A>(...)"
can be used instead because "make" is a prefix used for temporary
objects allocated on the stack.

>> No but I see memory leaks and a huge consumption of memory ;)
>
> Oh, yes, I have actually moved away from FF because of this.

Hahaha.

I wouldn't want to miss anything this time so anybody please CC me for
any question.

Regards,
-Phil