Subject: Re: [boost] The boost component dependencies blues
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-12 12:51:44

John,

thanks for your reply (and thanks to everyone else who replied, too).

On 12/12/2009 12:02 PM, John Maddock wrote:

>> Is this really a minimal subset to use boost.python ? I can't quite
>> believe it. In particular, what is boost.mpi doing there, and what
>> boost.serialization (and boost.spirit) ?
>
> OK, there are two issue here... why is the dependency so "fat", and
> why is component X a dependency of Y?

OK. I think I can see how I got where I am. My point is that this 'bcp'
tool is an insufficient tool for the purpose, as it, despite its
purpose, reinforces the idea that boost is really huge and (almost)
monolithic.

I understand that boost.python depends on boost.graph. And I can see
that (some of) boost.graph may depend on (some of) mpi, etc.
Thus, tracking dependencies on the component level isn't quite enough,
if I end up with a huge dependency tree. I do want to use all of
boost.python, but I definitely have no need for serialization or mpi.

Thanks,
         Stefan