Subject: [boost] [optional] Strict Aliasing Warnings on Trunk
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-16 20:51:55

I've recently been seeing this error more and more especially on GCC with -Wall:

 /home/dean/boost/boost/optional/optional.hpp:407: warning:
dereferencing pointer ‘<anonymous>’ does break strict-aliasing rules
 /home/dean/boost/boost/optional/optional.hpp:427: note: initialized from here

and:

  /home/dean/boost/boost/function/function_base.hpp:321: warning:
dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
  /home/dean/boost/boost/function/function_base.hpp:325: warning:
dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

This is on Linux and GCC 4.4.1.

I'm not an expert in this regard but is there a way to either silence
or avoid these warnings? Anything you want me to try from my end?

Thanks in advance and I hope this helps.

--
Dean Michael Berris
blog.cplusplus-soup.com | twitter.com/mikhailberis