Subject: Re: [boost] How to detect if f() returns void or not?
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-20 19:53:21

On 12/21/2009 11:36 AM, Eric Niebler wrote:
> On 12/20/2009 9:10 PM, joel falcou wrote:
>> Can can_be_called become a first class Boost citizen in type_traits or
>> some such ? Sounds like there is a substantial number of use cases in
>> which it may help.
>
> Are you volunteering? :-) Might be a good addition to Function_traits. I
> imagine an interface like:
>
> can_be_called< Fun(Arg0, Arg1) >
>
> Or maybe callable, or can_be_invoked, or invokable, or
> callable_with_args, or ... callable_with_args ain't so bad. Yes, I think
> this would be a good addition.

I had some time, so I knocked together a simple implementation and some
test cases. This ignores things like calling convention, but mostly
works. It would need someone to finish it, flesh out the test cases and
add documentation.

I've opened a feature request against the Function_types library and
attached the code as a starting point:

Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com