Subject: Re: [boost] coding conventions
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-03 06:47:53

Michael wrote:

> hi all,
>
> here's a first patch:
>
> it was generated using the command 'svn diff > ../boost.diff"
>
> questions on the formatting of new code (conforming standards used at
> gdb-patches_at_[hidden]):
>
> 1) can lines exceed the 80 character limit?
> 2) should standard indentation be taken as 2 or 4 white spaces?
>
> the attachment can be applied as such.

I feel like I'm missing some context. Are you submitting patches to adjust
code formatting according to a plan discussed with the library maintainer,
or are you just acting on your own, using your own judgment of what coding
style is best? If the former, then you don't need to post patches here,
you have to send them to the library maintainer who will hopefully apply
them. If the latter then:

- you don't need to post patches here either, creating tickets in Trac instead
- I am confused why you refer to GDB coding standards on this mailing list,
given that there's no relation, the coding standards used by that project
are rather non-conventional, and the code after your changes does not even
conform to them (as far as indentation of "{" goes)
- Is code formatting really the biggest problem that needs to be solved?

Thanks,
Volodya