Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost 1.41: list_of] Boost compliation error, > Sun Studio 11 using standard C++ lib
From: Stefan Teleman (stefan.teleman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-03 22:49:01

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 22:41, shing fan <shingfan_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> >From the sound of this, it is nearly impossible to compile boost using SS11 with stdlib without some sort of complier-hack.  I'm not the only user using the environment so hacking the complier would not be a viable solution.  And my lib has to work with another third-party lib which specifically mentioned that they do not support the use of stlport.  i'm not ready to take the responsibility of causing any problem to a third-party lib if any do arise.  So i guess my only choice is to switch to GCC if i need to work on Solaris and use Boost (1.36+)?  What is the drawback for using GCC?  The only thing that i know of between GCC and SS is that GCC's complier is slower, any other reason why one would prefer SS over GCC?
>
> Many thanks for other useful comments as well and i really appreciate all of them.

There really is no drawback in using GCC. If you are running on SPARC
and are concerned about the default GCC SPARC optimizer, you can
download GCCFSS from here:

http://cooltools.sunsource.net/gcc/index.html

The only restriction is: Studio- and GCC- generated binaries are ABI
incompatible. So, you won't be able to build Boost with GCC, and the
rest of the software with Studio, and link.

Also, C++ shared libraries provided in Solaris are built with Sun
Studio. The same restriction explained above applies.

--Stefan

--
Stefan Teleman
KDE e.V.