Subject: Re: [boost] coding conventions
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-04 09:27:36

Paul A. Bristow wrote:
> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> > Michael wrote:
> > >
> > > 1) can lines exceed the 80 character limit?
>
> With the widespread use of wider screens, some Boost authors
> are already edging beyond 80 char width.
>
> > http://www.boost.org/development/requirements.html#Guidelines
>
> Perhaps we should relax the 80 char width recommendation?
> (and anyway it is only a recommendation? - Readability comes
> first?)

I constrain my code to 80 columns and have no problems with readability, though I can imagine those used to long lines might. Long lines are quite difficult to read in my preferred editor configuration. A highly subjective criteria like readability is troublesome as justification for relaxing the width restriction.

Using proportional fonts increases the opportunity for text to exceed a given screen width depending upon the viewer's selected font. One person using a small or tight proportional font and a high screen resolution or large screen will easily exceed the screen width of another person using a looser or larger font or a screen with lower resolution or smaller width. Using 80 columns as the limit ensures that regardless of the font, it will fit on any developer's screen and the printed page without wrapping or truncation.

I happen to like arranging two buffers (file views) side-by-side in a single window and often have two such windows up at once (dual monitors). That allows me to have as many as four 80-column files visible at once. There are other configurations and not everyone does what I do, but the point of the Guidelines is "Boost's widely distributed source code should follow more conservative guidelines."

> PS Using 2 space indentation reduces the risk of running over
> the 80 width, so is my preference.

Some find two too small to visually align vertically, but four limits indentation depth, so we've used three for years. (Gasp! Yes, three isn't a power or multiple of two, but it works well.)

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]