Subject: Re: [boost] coding conventions
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-05 10:27:50

Behalf Of
> Mathias Gaunard
> Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 7:52 PM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] coding conventions
>
> Rob Riggs wrote:
>
> > I personally prefer 4 spaces, but that is more a compromise with the
> > additional block levels in C++ compared with C (namespace, class, method).
>
> I wouldn't recommend indenting things within namespaces, unless the
> content is very short.
>
> Certain libraries have 4 levels of namespace nesting.

Ah well yes - an argument for 2 space indents ;-)

Paul

PS Help! - moderators needed to prevent this becoming a bike shed issue?

I think it is clear we can't get a consensus.

As the Irishman said when asked directions "I wouldn't start from here."

If tabs had been used throughout, we could have let users decide their own
indent, but we missed that opportunity, for what seemed like good reasons at the
time.

So we have to muddle along not really pleasing anyone, but not making anyone
*terminally* unhappy.

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse