Subject: Re: [boost] [test] trunk breakage
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-06 15:36:36

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> Robert Ramey <ramey <at> rrsd.com> writes:
>
>> The new system would only
>> re-run the testing of library A when changes to library B have been
>> merged to release.
>
> Do you mean we should test against release brunch?

yes

> I thought you previously refer to the last release.

If I did - that was a mistake. I mean we should test
against the "next release".

But.....

Actually, from my perspective I view boost as
a collection of 'releases" - one for each library. So
for a given library - say boost/config.h which the
the serialization library depends upon, In my brain
the version on the release branch is the "latest release"

In fact, when I make projects which use boost -
generally small one-off projects - I just use my local
boost release branch. So what boost calls the "next release"
really is the "latest release" for me. Is everyone following that?
So from time to time I update my local copy of the
release branch and re-run my tests. If I had nothing else
to do, I should probably just re-run all the "out of date"
tests on my local environment.

Conceptually, it's all relative.

What I really need is to be able to
build it locally from the release branch. It should
be doable (and easy to do), and I think I remember
that I have done it, it's just that, like all
good programmers, I'm just lazy so for documentation
I just use the latest one I can find.

Robert Ramey