Subject: Re: [boost] coding conventions
From: Maurizio Vitale (maurizio.vitale_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-06 16:20:12

    Rob> Incidentally, why 90 columns? Is that just to annoy those that
    Rob> rely on 80 columns for readability? ;-) Seriously, it seems
    Rob> such an arbitrary number that I'm left to wonder why.

Let me saying upfront that I don't particularly care what width boost
uses.

In my own code I tend to use lines longer than 80 characters (sometimes
even much longer). I just find that declarations of templates can be
more logically organized if certain things are on one line.
In particular this happens to me for proto grammars.

The rest of my code gravitates towards the 80 character limit, but given
the occasional long lines described above I don't sweat if they are 85
characters.

This until I need to print listings (I occasionally want to study/debug
my code away from a computer). Then I curse very long lines. I pretty
much have to print in landscape orientation that has the problem of
limiting the amount of vertical context.

90 characters seems to be about the limit if you want to print portrait
with a legible font.

But for boost, really, I don't care.

There're other (semi) stylistic things that would be more important.
For instance following the bcp/namespace thread I started looking at
boost code and there're way more than one way to do include guards.
This coupled with the fact that some headers are supposed to be included
more than once (but this fact is not documented, as far as I can tell)
makes harder than needed to write bcp like tools.

Maurizio