Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] thread_specific_ptr performance (was: Re:Boostlibrary submission (poll for interest))
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-08 19:22:25

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Strasser" <strasser_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:19 AM

http://old.nabble.com/-thread--TSS-cleanup-tt19590361.html#a19617150

>> What about defining a macro BOOST_LOCAL_THREAD
>> that do the needed portable issues? Have you make some measures with
>> __thread and/or MSVC __declspec(thread)?
>
> I'm not sure if you can bring together all the different semantics of those
> extensions using a macro.
> the proposal of C++0x thread local storage is about 10 pages:
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2008/n2659.htm

Well the proposal may have 10 pages but the syntactical addition is quite simple, the problem is that each compiler has each own syntax.

>> BTW, Anthony has made some improvements to which thread_specific_ptr in
>> 1.41. Which version are you using?
>
> 1.41

Have you made some mesurements comparing thread_specific_ptr and __thread for example?
If there is a big difference maybe you could make a ticket then.

Best,
Vicente