Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] thread_specific_ptr performance
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-09 07:34:36

On 01/09/2010 02:48 PM, Rutger ter Borg wrote:
> Stefan Strasser wrote:
>
> FWIW, Asio's io_service also suffers from the computational cost of
> thread_specific_ptr. Would be great if those costs could be reduced.

I was concerned with thread_specific_ptr performance, too. Although this
was in pre-1.41 times, I still think there's room for improvement.

I crafted a patch for 1.40 that provided constant-time complexity of
reading/writing to TLS instead of logarithmic that is present now in
1.41. It has its downsides but if anyone finds it interesting, it's
attached to this ticket: