Subject: Re: [boost] [bloom_filter dynamic_bitset] Serialization support
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-11 13:44:22

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Fee" <pfee_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 6:21 PM

> I've been looking at the Bloom filter implementation in the sandbox area:
>
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/sandbox/bloom_filter
>
> A previous email thread implied serialization was available, but I don't see
> it in svn.
>
> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2009/06/152731.php
>
> Is the serialization code available somewhere?
>
> I've made an attempt at implementing this myself. In doing so I had to
> implement serialization for boost::dynamic_bitset.
>
> The dynamic_bitset serialization code may be useful independent of Bloom
> filters. The Bloom filter serialization in turn makes use of dynamic_bitset
> serialization.
>
> I've uploaded my implementation to the boost vault:
> http://www.boostpro.com/vault/index.php?directory=serialization
>
> Perhaps I should supply tests, example usage and documentation, but I'm
> hoping to get advice on Boost best practise before going too far in the
> wrong direction.

I think this is always welcome, at least provide tests, and unformated documentation.

> I'd like to see dynamic_bitset serialization in Boost proper and
> bloom_filter serialization alongside the existing code in the sandbox area.
>
> Can I request a sandbox account to upload code there?

You can do it by sendig a mail to boost-owner_at_[hidden]
Note that in addition to a sandbox account you need also the acknowledge of the Boost.Filter owner (Dean Michael Berris).

> All comments welcomed.

The implementations of dynamic_bitset should avoid the copy to/from a vector of Blocks. For that we nned to declare the serialization functions as friend of dynamic_bitset.

Anyway your implementation is simple. What do you think of posting a ticket (https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/newticket) to the dynamic_bitset library with the tests and the documentation?

Good luck,
Vicente