Subject: Re: [boost] [asio] Pass some parameter to io_service::run
From: James Mansion (james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-11 15:13:20

Dmytro Ovdiienko wrote:

> I don't understand why you would have an objection to a permanent
> binding with TLS
>

> TLS looks like global variables. Global variables violate
> encapsulation. I suppose to support my program at least 2 years. I
> don't want to hate myself two years :)
I think that's quite a silly reason. So are singletons, but they are
both useful. ...

> or
> a temporary binding using a pool of parsers, since it seems that
> each datagram must be
> parsed entirely and then the parser reset for the next?
>

> Exactly. But I don't want to create pool of the parsers. Access to the
> pool should be synchronized. Synchronization eats CPU times.
... but not nearly as silly as this one. Getting an item from a pool is
a great candidate for a spinlock and if you're concerned you can easily
segment the pool. Its a non-issue. I defy you to measure it in the
context of all teh context switching and system calls you're doing.

Of course, the pool is a singleton. And that's like a global.

The right tools to get you what you want are right there - you're just
choosing not to use them for academic reasons.

James