Subject: Re: [boost] [release] files from previous releases
From: Tobias Schwinger (tschwinger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-14 21:37:07

Daniel James wrote:
> 2010/1/14 Tobias Schwinger <tschwinger_at_[hidden]>:
>> Another issue: Boost.Functional.Forward / Factory are missing from the
>> release branch. Fusion docs/examples reference them and, as Forward has
>> been factored out of Fusion, it is required for the full functionality
>> of older versions.
>
> It's too late to add new libraries, they'll have to wait for the next
> release.

)-:

> Also, please contact the release managers first, there are
> few things we need to check and do for new libraries.
>
>> Last release having been messed is something I object repeating.
>> So I suggest we either roll back the Functional module to ~1 year ago
>> (including the documentation, of course) or get the missing files in,
>> docs repaired, and while we're at it we might as well remove the
>> outdated files.
>>
>> So, may I please get all this stuff straightened out?
>
> How disruptive will it be and what's actually broken?

Currently, the new interface is documented and implemented but can't
do what an older version could for stuff that has been factored out
is missing, now.

The old interface is still there (those files I wanted to remove, at
frist) but not what's documented and under test.

So what can we do? Ordered by descending personal preference:

A)

  * add dependencies (we can sustain any official advertisement until
    the next release, except for they're mentioned in Fusion docs)
  * remove outdated files (optional)
  * regenerate docs & check them, test locally, commit

B)

  * ignore there is a problem, for now
  * regenerate docs (as reportedly broken) & check them, commit

C)

  * keep headers as-is
  * partially roll back docs (non-trivial for QB macros/linkage)
  * get the old code back under test, maybe adjust after a test cycle
  * change some examples back to use the old code
  * regenerate docs & check them, test locally, commit

> I understand
> that you want to clean things up but is there anything which really
> can't wait three months? The reason why we have frequent releases is
> so that there doesn't need to be a last minute rush to get features
> added.

Well, just take your pick.

Regards,
Tobias