Subject: Re: [boost] how to compile when using read_graphml
From: Jeremiah Willcock (jewillco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-15 05:36:37

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Alexandre de Morais Amory wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Jeremiah Willcock <jewillco_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Alexandre de Morais Amory wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been trying to use the function from read_graphml from BGL.
>>> I am using the test case in
>>> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2007/04/119804.php as my first case
>>> study.
>>> Apparently it compiles ok, but there is a link error. See msg bellow:
>>> ======
>>>

>> (error snipped)
>>

>> aamory_at_gaph14:~/reps/test-tools/bgl/test/sandbox-bgl$
>>> =======
>>>
>>> I guess there should be some library. Reading the doc in
>>> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_38_0/libs/graph/doc/read_graphml.html
>>> it says that the lib "bgl-graphml" should be included, but I don't known
>>> where to find it. At the /usr/lib there is only the files
>>> libboost_graph-mt.a, libboost_graph-mt.so, libboost_graph-mt.so.1.38.0
>>>
>>> It seems that the problem is just to correctly define the compilation
>>> command ... any help would be much appreciated.
>>>
>>> configuration:
>>> - boost 1.38.0
>>> - ubuntu 9.10 64 bits
>>> - g++ 4.4.1
>>>

>> The library to use is -lboost_graph-mt; note that in Boost 1.38, you must
>> have Expat installed and set up in Boost.Build to use the GraphML reader.
>>

> Thanks Jeremiah,
>
> I am newbie in boost and I don't know how to use boost.build. Is there any
> tutorial for it ? I was wondering if the newer version of boost 1.41.0 still
> requires setting up boost.build.
> I would like just to get the boost from apt-get and start using BGL. :( ...
> Am I dreaming ? :)
>
> perhaps the graphviz format is more stable (or with better integration) than
> the graphml format ... is it true ? I dont need fancy stuff .. just reading
> and writing small and simple graphs.
>
> in other words, is there any quick way of read/write small and simple graphs
> with BGL ?

The GraphViz and GraphML interfaces are the best way. Check whether your
package for Boost (from apt-get) contains GraphViz support; that should be
in all versions. GraphML may not be there since it relied on Expat until
recently. Otherwise, you can look at
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_41_0/more/getting_started/index.html for
build instructions.

-- Jeremiah Willcock