Subject: Re: [boost] [transaction] New Boost.Transaction library under discussion
From: strasser_at_[hidden]
Date: 2010-01-26 13:36:53

Zitat von Bob Walters <bob.s.walters_at_[hidden]>:

>> so what the RMs need to do is split up the commit in 2 phases with a prepare
>> message written to the log at the end of the prepare phase, and change the
>> recovery process a bit.
>
> Typically, this results in a lot of sync()s, but I'm not sure how to
> avoid that. e.g. prepare() has to sync because the resource manager
> is not allowed to forget the transaction due to machine death.
> commit() presumably must sync again. The TM does its own logging (or
> perhaps shares a resource manager) to keep track of transaction
> progress. Once a two-phase commit protocol comes into play, things
> slow down.
>
> One result of this is that we should be sure that the TM is optimized
> for one-phase commits when only one RM is in play.

I agree. it's probably 5 syncs for a transaction across 2 RMs.
the TM should also take into consideration if resources are
persistent or not. Boost.STM for example is transactional memory only
and does not maintain a log on disk, so when it is used together with
1 other persistent resource, the TM can perform a two-phase commit on
the transient resource and a one-phase on the persistent resource.

transient_resource->prepare();
persistent_resource->commit(); //not prepared
transient_resource_commit();

the same is probably the case when your library is used in a non-file region?

I´ve been thinking about introducing a RM category for that:

typedef one_phase_tag category;
//only supports one-phase commit.

or

typedef persistent_tag category;
//supports two-phase, persistent

or

typedef transient_tag category;
//supports two-phase, non-persistent

only when 2 or more persistent_tag RMs are used in a global
transaction the TM has to prepare both and write to its log to have a
unique commit point, otherwise the commit of the only persistent_tag
RM is the commit point.
(any ideas for a better name for "one_phase_tag"?)

> I wonder if either of you have also considered the notion of sharing a
> transactional disk infrastructure (e.g. write-ahead log and
> checkpointing mechanism) so that it would actually be possible for the
> 3 different libraries to share a transactional context and result in a
> single write-ahead log record per transaction. i.e. One log overall,
> instead of one log per RM.

do you see a reason why that would need support from the TM?
when we've talked about the off-list I always assumed to implement
that on the RM level.
so when RM 1 offers service A and RM 2 offers service B, and they
should share a log, a RM 3 is implemented that maintains the shared
log and offers services A and B, forwarding service calls to RM 1 and 2.
so as far as the TM is concerned, there is only one RM, so it performs
a one-phase commit.

> Specifically: prepare() might have each RM create a buffer containing
> the data that they need in order to recover that RMs changes for the
> transaction. The sum of this data for each RMs is written to the
> write-ahead log for the transaction. As a result, there is no need
> for a two-phase commit. Instead, during recovery processing, each RM
> is told to recover based on their particular portion of the log record
> contents. Checkpoints would likewise need to be coordinated in some
> fashion like this.

I don't use checkpoints, so I guess there would be no coordination
needed, as long as your RM has access to the shared log?

> The reason I mention this is because I think that
> the write-ahead logging and checkpointing being done by stdb and
> Boost.Persistence do sound comparable at this point, so I'm starting
> to think that looking at the problem from the vantage point of shared
> logging might prove optimal.
>
> Is this alternative worth looking at?

I think it's definitely worth looking at as an optimization, but imho
not as an alternative to the distributed transaction approach, as you
cannot make all resources share a log, e.g. a RDBMS resource.