Subject: Re: [boost] codepad code longevity ?
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-29 21:05:35

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 9:54 AM, OvermindDL1 <overminddl1_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Dean Michael Berris
>>
>> So what would the consequence be for people who do post links to gists
>> or codepad-like services? :D
>
> Asking them to follow the rules.  If they break too many rules, probably banned.

Sounds fair enough to me. :)

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Dean Michael Berris
> <mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Anyway, I think if it's longevity of stuff on codepad is the problem,
>> then not using codepad is one solution. Inlining and attachments are
>> fine until you run into the attachment limit problem.
>
> I have yet to run into that though, and I have posted some pretty
> massive post-processed code files.  :)

I think here there's a limit to a few hundred (or one hundred?) KB per
attachment. YMMV on other lists though.

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Dean Michael Berris
> <mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I guess what I'm saying is "discouraging" someone from doing it is
>> different from "banning" it. Unless there's a way for automatic
>> transparent enforcement of that, I'm not really seeing the benefit.
>
> Same as following any other rule, like no top-posting.

Sure, but you get warned and maybe reprimanded and people stop
replying to your messages or reading them, but unless you can make
sure that the email system will enforce that then it'd be a little
hard to enforce. Those are "implementation details" though. :D

>> However I don't agree that it's as evil as it's being called out to
>> be. It's the same problem when using tinyurl or bit.ly or even just
>> "natural" link rot -- I don't see how it's a huge downside. If there's
>> a downside like SEO friendliness, I think it's marginal enough to be
>> acceptable.
>
> But it really is as evil.  The whole reason this came up at all is due
> to complaints about some old links to code in old posts were no longer
> working, thus the person had to post to ask how to fix it since the
> old fix disappeared into the aether.

Ah, well cases like these it makes sense. :)

Now I get the rationale -- again maybe for some throw-away
collaborative code editing for illustration purposes things like gists
and pastebin make sense. But if it's something more "important" like
examples or whatnot, a little more resilient system like inlined code
and attachments would work better.

--
Dean Michael Berris
cplusplus-soup.com | twitter.com/deanberris