Subject: Re: [boost] Formal review request: static size matrix/vector linear algebra library (Boost) LA
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-04 22:09:19

2010/2/4 Agustín K-ballo Bergé <kaballo86_at_[hidden]>:
> El 02/02/2010 06:35 p.m., Emil Dotchevski escribió:
>> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Thomas Klimpel
>> Nothing has changed because nobody pointed out anything that needed to
>> be changed in the preliminary review. There are a few concerns, like
>> the use of operator| ("pipe") to implement type-safe casting but I am
>> not aware of a better solution.
>
> I have been happily using this library for a while, and I have a couple
> of suggestions/observations.
>
> · I've often found the need to forward the result of some Boost.LA
> operation. To do so, I'm using types from the detail namespace to
> specify the return type. Until auto and decltype, and for C++03 support,
> a result_of namespace ala Boost.Fusion would be nice.

Good point. Can you elaborate on your needs to forward results from
functions? Is it possible that the library is missing some important
functions that you had to implement yourself?

> · Support for subscript operator may be introduced via vref/mref. So
> vref( any_conforming_vertex_type )[ I ] could be used for both direct
> indexing and swizzling (as mentioned at your blog).

Good idea. I wish this could be introduced non-intrusively though...

> · Support for "complex swizzling expressions" would be nice. I've just
> made that name up, but I'm referring to things like 'v1[Y,-X]' or
> 'v1|(Y,-X)' (again, as mentioned at your blog).

Great idea. I wonder what other expressions would make sense, besides minus.

> · More algorithms to operate on vectors and matrices are needed,
> otherwise people would be reinventing the same generic algorithms.
> Ideally, I would like to see everything that is available at GLSL,
> including component-wise boolean operations.

I'll take a look at what GLSL has and add what makes sense. Also, I am
planning to add support for quaternions.

> Finally, I'm not keen on the library name, but I don't have a better one
> to suggest.

I'm not keen on the library name either. I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks for the kind words,
Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.