Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for new variants of the Boost logo.
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-09 17:21:57

Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On 02/09/2010 11:45 PM, Stewart, Robert wrote:
> >>
> > One of my concerns is that any logo put in a library's documentation
> > should be acceptable even if the library is never submitted or is
> > rejected and then developed outside of Boost. I don't think we
> > should rely on the author of a rejected library taking positive
> > action to "correct" the logo in that case. "For use with" is
> > sufficiently innocuous as to not overstate the relationship in that
> > case, or so we thought.
> >
> "unofficial extension (addon) for [boost]"? "for extension of
> [boost]"?
> "complement for [boost]"? "addition (addendum) to [boost]"? I
> hope guys
> with native English might come up with a few more wordings.

I am a native English speaker and I suggested "for use with."

> "For use with" just doesn't describe the work as a possible
> addition to Boost
> (that is, in order to use it, you will have to integrate it
> with Boost).

That's right. I am trying to avoid saying that much because the library may never be submitted for review, much less be accepted. If the library languishes or is rejected and is developed in some other context than Boost, numerous other wordings imply more than I'd like.

"For use with" means something has been designed to work with Boost whether by extending or complementing what's provided by Boost or by virtue of ultimately being submitted for review and, hopefully, acceptance. Upon acceptance, a library author will happily change to the official logo.

> And in that regard it has the semantics very close to the
> "powered by" variant.

Not at all. "Powered by" means a product uses Boost. Nothing more. There's no claim of interoperability with or eventual submission to Boost.

> I would like the logo to make it clear that the work
> is tightly coupled with Boost infrastructure, as opposed

That runs counter to the concern I expressed above: that a work that is rejected and taken elsewhere requires positive action by the author to remove the strong association with Boost which is tantamount to sanction. I'd prefer a more benign association.

> We could also move away from the current attempt to put together the
> current logo and some phrase into a sentence. After all, a newly
> designed logo that simply says "[boost] extension" and differs enough
> from the official logo might be what we're looking for. We could also
> get rid of that screaming red color I so dislike.

I have no problem with a redesigned logo. Perhaps shrinking the original logo and overpowering it with the added text would work. I'd still go for a different color or other stylistic treatment of the text, even if it isn't red. Something like this:

   BEING DEVELOPED FOR
  POSSIBLE INCLUSION IN
  <> Boost
  <> C++ Libraries

The original logo could go to the lower right, too:

   UNDER DEVELOPMENT
   FOR POSSIBLE <> Boost
   INCLUSION IN <> C++ Libraries

_____