Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for new variants of the Boost logo.
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-11 08:34:49

Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On 02/10/2010 01:21 AM, Stewart, Robert wrote:
> > Andrey Semashev wrote:
> >
> > "For use with" means something has been designed to work with Boost
> > whether by extending or complementing what's provided by Boost or by
> > virtue of ultimately being submitted for review and, hopefully,
> > acceptance. Upon acceptance, a library author will happily
> > change to the official logo.
> >
> >> And in that regard it has the semantics very close to the "powered
> >> by" variant.
> >
> > Not at all. "Powered by" means a product uses Boost. Nothing more.
> > There's no claim of interoperability with or eventual submission to
> > Boost.
>
> Then I don't see the difference between "For use with" and
> "Powered by". If there isn't (much) difference, I'm for keeping
> the number of logos to a minimum and leaving only one of them,
> the "powered by" one.

"Powered by" means an application or library *uses* Boost. "For use with" means the library interoperates with existing Boost libraries or is intended to be submitted to Boost at some point. There is a significant difference in intention. If you are saying that there isn't much difference in the two phrases, I see a significant difference, but can't make you see it.

> >> I would like the logo to make it clear that the work is tightly
> >> coupled with Boost infrastructure, as opposed
> >
> > That runs counter to the concern I expressed above: that a work that
> > is rejected and taken elsewhere requires positive action by the
> > author to remove the strong association with Boost which is
> > tantamount to sanction. I'd prefer a more benign association.
>
> That doesn't mean it was or will be proposed, accepted or
> anything. It only means that the library follows the approach
> of Boost libraries, and potentially may be integrated with the
> Boost distribution, or even requires that to work. To me, this
> is the only difference from the "powered by" logo, that
> matters to users and the library author, and it deserves to be
> expressed in a separate logo.

Curious. I don't think there's the least need for a logo that indicates a library is organized in the fashion of Boost libraries. Libraries can be designed with the express purpose of augmenting Boost libraries without being Boost libraries themselves. Consider someone creating additional algorithms for Boost.StringAlgos. Sure, they should submit them for possible inclusion, but they might have a narrow focus for internal use. Nevertheless, a "for use with" type logo is informative. Likewise, a library of extensions which may one day be incorporated into a Boost library are "for use with" that Boost library, so the logo is informative. In those cases, however, the library isn't "powered by" Boost so much as intended to work alongside Boost.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]