Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc]Intrest - big integer library
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-15 09:30:25

On 15 February 2010 04:45, Kamil Witecki <kamil.witecki_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I'd like to propose new library for boost - a Big Integer library.
>
> Is it a good proposal for GSoC project and who would you recommend as
> a possible mentor for such project?

Given the number of times which a big integer library has been
started, I'd be wary of suggesting it as a GSoC project.

Since there are already many C big integer libraries (with various
licenses), I'd be far more interested in an expression template system
that would let me hook in the operations I need. That way if I'm ok
with LGPL I can just use GMP, for instance. Also, a naive
implementation could be provided for testing and verification.

I remember hearing that someone had started something like that, but I
don't know its progress.

~ Scott