Subject: Re: [boost] Downcast taking account of virtual inheritance
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-15 11:20:04

Joel Falcou wrote:
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>> You can just include boost/serialization/smart_cast.hpp right now.
>> <snip>
>
> I see. My main cocnern is that in a bcp use case, having bcp pulling
> all serialization for smart_cast is a bit of an overkill. I think it
> deserves to live its own life in utility

So did I. And that's the way it was. But I was pressured by other
boost developers to move to the private area of the serialization library
as it had not be reviewed and accepted on it's own. This was in
spite of the fact there were and are a large number of components
in the "core" which have never been reviewed.

In any case, if you feel this way, why don't re-package this
as a separate library, add some tests, and submit it for a
for a mini-review. I would then drop it from the serialization
library.

BTW - another component in exactly the same situation would
be "state_saver", BOOST_STATIC_WARNING and perhaps
others.

Robert Ramey