Subject: Re: [boost] boost::property_tree is seriously outdated/incomplete
From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-16 17:43:20

Philippe Vaucher wrote:
> About the basic_ptree design:
>
> - I think we'd add basic_ptree::parent(), that looks like an easy &
> obvious change to me.
> - I think we'd allow to set the default separator ('.') for the whole
> ptree (instead of only allowing it in .get() requests)
>
> If people agree with those changes, I'll create another ticket on the trac.

Hi,

I'm the PTree maintainer, and I know I'm not giving it nearly enough
attention as it needs at this stage. I'll get around to it some day soon.

As for your suggestions:
parent() is a no-go, I think. I actually suggested it back when the
library was first proposed for Boost. I can't remember exactly why the
author shot it down, but it was a pretty convincing argument. I'll have
to go dig in the archives.
Setting the default separator is something I'll have to think about.
That you can't supply a different separator for operations other than
get() is definitely a bug.

Sebastian