Subject: Re: [boost] [Filesystem V3] Filesystem Version 3 beta 1 availablefor download and comment
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-21 11:00:41

See http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/177103

> One wrinkle that I never was able to decide how to handle was multiple extensions, like ".tar.gz".  Some use cases would want ".tar.gz", some would just want ".gz", and a few would even want just ".tar".  Does this library provide any direct support for managing chains of extensions like that?

The design decision for stem() to return just the last extension
rather than the entire chain allows a user to visit each element in
the chain. For example,

path p = "foo.bar.baz.tar.bz2";
for (; !p.extension().empty(); p = p.stem())
    cout << p.extension() << '\n';

displays:

.bz2
.tar
.baz
.bar

and variations on that would allow fairly easy composition of any
operation on the chain that you might like to perform. OTOH, if
stem() returned the entire chain, composition of other operations
wouldn't be possible.

An extension chain iterator could be provided, but that seems overkill to me.

Thanks,

--Beman