Subject: Re: [boost] Infrastructure (Was: review system in place is extremelyslow?)
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-26 08:19:22

Stewart, Robert wrote:
> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> John Maddock wrote:
>>> Hmm... spam to this list is basically zero (at least spam that the
>>> moderators have to deal with). Is the Boost.Build list set to
>>> automatically reject posts from unsubscribed addresses?
>> No, I have explicitly turned of that feature.
>>
>>> That's what this list does (it sends a message telling you how
>>> to subscribe and why
>>> it's necessary), and since we only moderate first-posts from new
>>> subscribers, acting as moderator implies next to no work at all....
>>> which is how it should be really... you guys are just all
>>> too polite ;-)
>> Well, this is very nice behaviour for moderators, but very
>> annoying for newcomers. It would be much nicer if there was
>> spam filtering -- for all I can tell, there's essentially none.
>
> One's first message being rejected with a request to subscribe, assuming one hadn't subscribed first,
> nd having one's first message slowed for moderation is "very annoying?"

Yes.

> Compare that with spam filtering in which some spam gets through every filter

I don't see any spam on Boost.Build mailing list, somehow ;-) Probably because first-time posters
are still moderated, just not required to subscribe.

> and some legitimate messages are filtered wrongly.

I don't believe this the case the technical mailing list where almost nobody is sending HTML
message with attached exes and pictures of kittens.

> The spam filtering approach is annoying to all list subscribers every day.

I fail to see why this is so. In fact, a large number of technical mailing lists I
participate with don't have any kind of pre-moderation, for all I know, and are
virtually spam-free for years.

- Volodya