Subject: Re: [boost] is review system in place is extremely slow? (was Re: [rfc] rcpp)
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-28 14:30:06

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
>
>> Paul A. Bristow wrote:
>>> But nobody has yet responded to the vital question of whether there are
>>> resources to support a parallel tree to trunk,
>>> in addition to sandbox, for what we are calling 'candidate' libraries. It
>>> really needs to have an identical structure,
>>> and tests which are run regularly, like trunk. This will encourage more users,
>>> who have an important, and often informed, voice in reviews.
>> IMO we do not need this. Candidate libraries should compile and test
>> against last release. We can't expect to sync all development efforts.
>
> This is pretty straight-forward to implement:

Yeah, which as you mention is fairly easy.. So this is for others that
don't read bjam source as easily as Volodya and I..

> 1. Create a branch off the last release
> 2. For each proposed library living in sandbox, add a couple of svn:externals
> into the new branch.

Which could be automated, and it was always my intent to do so, by the
test scripts, and they already operate partially that way. But since we
never agreed on a structure of sandbox libraries it hasn't really been
possible. But I guess my suggestion years ago of the sandbox structure
is apparently the defacto standard now perhaps it is possible.

> 3. Modify status/Jamfile.v2 to only run the tests for the new libraries.
> 4. Have one, or more people run tests on the new branch.

3 & 4 are already partially supported by status/Jamfile.v2 by using the
"--limit-tests=*" option. For example to only run tests for
program_options.. --limit-tests=program_options. And it would really
easy to add a "--run-tests=some_lib" such that the list of libs doesn't
need to be edited at all.

> 5. Adjust reporting process to produce one more set of tables.
>
> Of this, (1) and (2) is done in a matter of minutes. (3) requires really
> minimal hacking. (4) requires a volunteer. I personally don't know how to
> do (5) but should not be hard either.

The main problem is #5. And it's the main problem because the report
system is not really designed for that. And it's a big resource hog. SO
perhaps the best alternative is to have separate results for each tested
library. That way it's also easier to find someone to run the reports as
they wont take much resources.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything