Subject: Re: [boost] [numeric][ublas] trunk testing broken
From: K. Noel Belcourt (kbelco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-05 15:34:03

On Mar 5, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> K. Noel Belcourt wrote:
>> Trunk testing broke with this commit:
>>
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/60156
>>
>> Here's the error message.
>>
>> error: Unable to find file or target named
>> error: 'test_coordinate_matrix_sort.cpp'
>> error: referred from project at
>> error: '../libs/numeric/ublas/test'
>>
>> Could someone please add this missing file or revert the commit?
>
> do you have an opinion whether the hard error above is good, in the
> sense that it alerts to the missing file immediately, or bad, in the
> sense that it's really library author's business to check if the
> test is still running?

As you say, it's both good and bad. Early error detection is always
good, but stopping all trunk testers because of a single error like
this does adversely impact developers who are attentive and do check
for breakage they may have caused.

> It is probably possible to just go on.

I'd personally prefer this approach as it would minimize impact to
most other Boost libraries (they would continue to build and test
normally) and would impact just the numeric/ublas library, and
perhaps the libraries that depend on numeric/ublas, (depending on the
type of failure).

-- Noel