Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-users] [Review] ITL review starts today, February 18th
From: Joachim Faulhaber (afojgo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-06 13:36:41

2010/3/6 Jeff Flinn <TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden]>:
> John Reid wrote:
>>

>> John Reid wrote:
>>>
>>> I have some further unrelated design questions/points:
>>
>> Is there a function to return the gap between 2 intervals? I guess I can
>> subtract the 2 intervals from their hull but one function call would be
>> nice.
>
> I actually had a need to iterate on the implied intervals that constitute
> the empty space between the intervals stored in an interval map. This was
> used as a post processing step to assure at least one pixel wide gaps were
> not lost in a bar chart display of scaled data.

Hi Jeff and John,

I have implemented gap and distance functions and checked them into the sandbox.

template <class DomainT, ITL_COMPARE Compare,
          template<class,ITL_COMPARE>class Interval>
Interval<DomainT,Compare>
    inner_complement(const Interval<DomainT,Compare>& left,
                     const Interval<DomainT,Compare>& right);

template <class DomainT, ITL_COMPARE Compare,
          template<class,ITL_COMPARE>class Interval>
inline typename Interval<DomainT,Compare>::difference_type
   distance(const Interval<DomainT,Compare>& left,
            const Interval<DomainT,Compare>& right);

According to your suggestions I am going to rework the design in
general and for intervals in particular, such that intervals will
generally be simpler, static bound_types can be chosen and user
defined interval types can be used. This will take a little longer but
I am looking forward to improve my design.

It's always an adventure to discover one's own partial ignorance :-D

Cheers,
Joachim