Subject: Re: [boost] Summer of Code 2010
From: Andrew Sutton (andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-07 16:26:34

> Concerning Unicode, I did the foolish choice this year of working full-time
> as the same time as I finish my studies, which hasn't left me as much free
> time as I would have liked it to.
> I will be resuming work on it this summer, however, as I am quite keen on
> getting it into Boost.

Working and studying seems to be increasingly common these days. Speaking
from experience, it's absolutely killing my ability to get any quality work
out of the undergrads in my department :)

Are you planning to re-apply for SoC for this? If you did, how would the
proposal vary from last year?

> One concern I have is that it is quite close to Boost.Iterator,
> Boost.Range, Boost.RangeEx and Boost.StringAlgo, and I would like my changes
> to be added as improvement upon those libraries if possible.
> But I guess proposing everything under Boost.Unicode makes it quite easier
> to review and all.

I think that largely depends on the maintainer(s) of those libraries. I
would hope that you could avoid a formal review since the libraries are
already in place. I would also think that if the algo/iter/range changes are
orthogonal to the unicode stuff, a separate review would be required. In the
worst case, you could probably just wrap and hide the modified libraries.

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]