Subject: Re: [boost] [SoC] Summer of Code Project Ideas
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-08 09:11:37

On 03/08/2010 08:52 AM, Andrew Sutton wrote:
> I'm officially soliciting ideas for student projects for this year's 2010
> Summer of Code.
>

> If you have any ideas, let's hear them. And remember, funded projects need
> mentors.

Here are two project ideas that have come up quite recently (one on IRC,
the other on the boost.python list), and which I'd both be willing to
mentor:

* I started a 'boost.xml' library (right now in
https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/xml/) a long time ago, which I
have never found enough time and energy to bring to a formal boost
submission. Having a proper XML library as part of boost would be very
useful, in particular if "proper XML" goes beyond the basics such as
parsing. (There already are lots of half-baked XML parsers, but few
fully conform to the spec, or yield well performing in-memory
representations that can be traversed via XML-specific tools such as XPath.)

* Boost.Python has a couple of domains that could be improved. Here are two:

   - Add (better) support for NumPy bindings.
   - Improve the converter registry to avoid conflicts when multiple
extension modules try to expose the same C++ types.
   - Add bindings for other Python C API functions, such as exception
handling.

All of the above can be formulated in a way to yield bite-sized
deliverables, increasing the chance that at least some of it may be
completed and included into boost by the end of the summer.

Thanks,
         Stefan