Subject: [boost] [SoC] C++0x Project Ideas
From: Andrew Sutton (andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-09 10:42:34

Previous years' SoC project ideas suggested porting some or all of a library
to C++0x. I wanted to get a read on whether or not Boost developers think
that there is value in these kinds of projects. I think there are some
interesting pros and cons.

One aspect of these projects that worries me about these kinds of projects
is that they can force programmers to work in the netherworld between two
major versions of the language. They may end up porting the libraries to a
CPP abstraction layer rather than actually writing C++0x, which may
artificially constrain the ported implementations. I would personally see
students write native C++0x than trying to write something in between. Maybe
not "porting" as much as "migrating".

The obvious downside is that native C++0x ports may not be easily integrated
into Boost.

Thoughts?

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]