Subject: Re: [boost] Status of (boost) lockfree?
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-10 16:00:56

sry for my late reply,

>> i ported boost.lockfree to boost.atomic. the archive in the vault doesn't
>> reflect this change yet, but you can check out my latest sources from my
>> git repository [1,2].
>> the specific code, that triggered that error message has been replaced by
>> boost.atomic ...
>
> I get more problems with the code I downloaded from the git link you
> posted on MSVC 9.0. I'm including the complete log at the end of this
> message, the issue seems to be that it can't access the size_t typedef
> from the base class because it is private. Changing the ringbuffer
> functions to use std::size_t fixes the errors.

thanks for reporting, i've commited a fix

> So what is the status of lockfree?

well, i am using it successfully in a couple of projects and it passes the
stress tests on the machines, that i can access (x86-64, core2, core i7).

it is scheduled for review and i consider the implementation as stable ...

> What compilers is it tested with?

linux, gcc-4.2, 4.3, 4.4

i don't have access to other compilers, so i need to rely on other people's
report

> Can I rely on ringbuffer working now that I've got it to compile?

the ringbuffer algorithm is used in several different project, so if i got
the implementation right, you can to rely on it ... but you can run some
stress tests to test it yourself ... just note, that it is a single-
producer/single-consumer implementation!

cheers, tim

--
tim_at_[hidden]
http://tim.klingt.org