Subject: Re: [boost] [SoC] Summer of Code Project Ideas -- Polygon
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-12 03:42:51

Hi Luke, Mateusz,

> Barend has already been working on allowing the user to specify the winding direction at compile time.

That is right.

> What I'm asking is to make it a runtime trait of the object and not a complie time trait of the class.
That is also foreseen (but not implemented) in the same mechanism:

enum order_selector { clockwise, counterclockwise, order_undetermined };

where undetermined means that it is runtime.

> The open vs. closed issue is similar, and the primary implication of these changes is that you have to test your algorithms for these cases, since the changes in their implementation will typically be small.

This must (and will) also be implemented, as it is part of the review
report: "Boolean operations: while the library provides a set of Boolean
operations those seem to be not complete and/or robust in terms of
clockwise/counterclockwise geometries, closed/open polygons. Robust
Boolean operations are a strong requirement, so this should be fixed as
reported by at least one reviewer."

Regards, Barend