Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Boost.Log formal review
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-12 04:40:29

Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On 03/11/2010 01:28 PM, Barend Gehrels wrote:
>> Hi Andrey,
>>
>> Boost.Log is not header only, and uses Boost libraries which are not
>> header only.
>>
>> > The logging library also uses several Boost libraries that need
>> building too. These are Boost.Filesystem, Boost.System, Boost.DateTime,
>> Boost.Thread and Boost.Regex
>>
>> Is it possible to use Boost.Log in header-only mode, assuming a simple
>> use case without threads and separate DLLs?
>
> No, the library has to be compiled anyway. However, if your
> application is a single .exe module, you can link statically with
> Boost.Log and other libraries.

OK, I must say that I'm not so happy with that. What is the reason for
the need to compile? Logging is very useful, but to statically link only
because of logging is in many cases not convenient.

Would it be possible (technically or otherwise) to adapt it to be header
only, as a whole or just the core part?

Barend