Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Locale] New Release
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-13 14:39:58

On 03/13/2010 01:53 AM, Eric Niebler wrote:
> On 3/13/2010 2:56 AM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
>> Artyom wrote:
>>
>>> Boost.Locale is a library that brings high quality localization
>>> facilities
>>> in C++ way. It provides the natural glue between C++ locales framework,
>>> iostreams and powerful ICU library
>>
>> That's a very interesting wrapper of ICU.
>> It might even kill off my Unicode library.
>
> I think Boost probably needs a Unicode library that is *not* a wrapper
> of ICU.

For the record, Boost already uses ICU.

http://source.icu-project.org/repos/icu/icu/trunk/license.html

> How generic is it? (E.g. can I run Unicode
> algorithms over non-contiguous data?)

 From what I know, it provides streaming character conversion
algorithms. Probably, other streaming algorithms exist as well.

I really don't see the point in reinventing a wheel here. The code is
there, it's well tested and maintained, feature rich and widely
deployed. What's missing is a better C++ interface, and that's exactly
what I expect from Boost.Locale.

On the topic. I think, Boost.Locale will be a major and highly awaited
addition to Boost. The need in Unicode support is especially strong.