Subject: Re: [boost] Review - boost::log
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-14 07:31:03

On 03/14/2010 07:21 AM, Tom Brinkman wrote:

> I don't mind this added complexity when it comes to genuinely difficult
> problem
> spaces. In my view, however, logging is not one of those problem spaces.

The conversations on this list and the diversity of requirements clearly
show that logging is not a simple and straightforward thing.

> Logging is one of those things that if it takes longer than
> 10 minutes to read the documentation and get up to speed, it will not
> get used.

Did you look in the Tutorial? First thing there is the "trivial"
logging, which involves one header and one macro. Looks as trivial as it
can ever get to me.

> What is your evaluation of the design?
>
> Very much in the spirit of a typical boost library.
>
> However, it has very little attention to "C" interfaces and makes
> heavy use of templates.

Boost is a collection of C++ libraries. Boost.Log is a C++ library. If
you're looking for C, you're looking in the wrong place, IMHO.

Also, I second the question Vladimir asked. What are the particular
places with excess use of templates are you referring to?