Subject: Re: [boost] Should Boost adopt pimpl/d-pointer as much as it can?
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-21 07:02:43

> I think pimpl should be used on by case basis, because it
> doesn't make
> sense in every library Boost has.

I agree, but I think that there should be policy that recommends
doing that for relevant parts.

Just like today: Boost recommends using Boost.Test framework but
it is up to library developer to decide whether it would use it or not.

For example: I do not expect from Boost.Function, Boost.Bind or
Boost.Pheonix to separate implementation from interfaces.

However libraries like Asio, Thread, Regex, Interprocess and many others
should.

I don't see any reason why, memory allocation algorithm of Interprocess
should be in header libraries at all?

If something requires templates for flexibility, it should be in headers,
but if it does not? Put it in source library and never recompile,
especially when these parts of code huge and non-trivial!

Artyom