Subject: Re: [boost] The problems with Boost development
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-22 01:22:29

Steven Watanabe wrote:
> AMDG
>
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>> I'm feeling I'm missing something really dumb as I can't figure
>> out how other authors run all the tests in their particular libraries
>> prior to checking in
>
> I personally use bjam directly.

The serialization library testing has been referred to as a
"carpet bombing" approach. a full run on my local machine
is compilers (gcc 4.32, msvc 7.1, msvc 9.0), two builds
(debug and release) , two flavors (static and dynamic lib).
There about 60 tests. About 40 of them are run on
each kind of archive class (text_, xml_, binary, text_w
and xml_w.) So the total number of tests run
is approximately

3 * 2 * 2 * ( 20 + 5 * 40) = 2640 test results.

So I just let it run - and the next morning I
am rewarded with a really nice giant table of
3*2*2 columns and 20 + 5*40 rows.
It's hard to describe the satisfaction that
derives from scrolling all over it.

I check the table and click on the red failures.
It's much easier than examing the bjam logs then
finding the results test directory.

When I rerun just some of the tests, the table
is rebuilt. This processess continues until
my next "ouvre" is ready to check in.

>> or how users verify that any particular
>> library works in their environment without some sort of tool
>> such as this.
>
> I would guess that most users don't run the tests.

lol - of course I knew that. They build their application
and when it doesn't work they query the boost user's list.
It would make helping users on the list easier if I could
know that in fact the library does in fact build and test
as expected before they even start to ask thequestion.

Robert Ramey