Subject: Re: [boost] The problems with Boost development
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-22 07:36:51

John, this is spot on but not documented in http://www.boost.org/community/reviews.html#Review_Manager. I think it should be part of the Review Manager description.

> I understand that it is now the most part of the work of a
> review manager, and my intent was to reduce it. In my view, it
> would be easier for a review manager to have formal reviews
> containing the essential outcome of the discussion that
> happened between the reviewers and the author. The discussion,
> although containing a lot of reasoning, also contains a lot of
> technical details that may be hard to follow. I think that in
> many cases such details are less important than higher level
> issues, such as design and interface of the library.

The role of Review Manager doesn't seem onerous to me, and I volunteered to be one. During a review, there is a tremendous upsurge of message traffic to which a Review Manager must pay attention, to be sure. That demands a lot of the Review Manager, but not nearly so much as of the library author who must address the technical questions and concerns raised.

I think the problem for most reviews, for all involved, is they are too short. Tiny, well focused libraries don't need more than a couple of weeks, but substantial libraries, like Boost.Log, need more so the discussion can have a more comfortable pace and so more people can spend sufficient time to do a review. (Yes, they can start early, but they don't.)

Any reduction in the information a Review Manager uses to make a decision, particularly given the relatively small number of reviews submitted for most libraries, seems unwise. That's why I asked John to include something like what he wrote above in the description of a Review Manager's responsibilities. It is not uncommon for reviews to be rather short because so much content was discussed previously; the review winds up being a summary rather than sufficiently detailed to provide all that the Review Manager should consider.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]