Subject: Re: [boost] What's wrong with top-posting?
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-22 16:25:59

At Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:09:43 -0800,
Robert Ramey wrote:

> I thought I was familiar with the guidelines and never remembered this.
>
> I top-post all the time. It seems much more natural to me when
> it's not convenient to intersperse comments into the previous
> message. Why I like top posting:
>
> a) It means that I don't have to scroll to the bottom of a message
> which is sometimes pretty long.
> b) To me it is more natural to follow the style
> of other communications (artilcle, books, etc) which make
> their point in the main text and refer to footnotes, bibliographies,
> etc at the end of the main text.

c) You don't confuse or even *upset* (as I've discovered the hard way)
   many people in the business world, where top-posting and
   overquoting is the accepted standard. Every message drags along
   the entire thread history with it, and you keep a record of
   everything by storing the final message. (yuck) It's a cultural
   thing, and Boost fits into the open-source programmer weenie
   culture much more than the business culture.

when-in-rome-ly y'rs,
Dave

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com