Subject: Re: [boost] GSOC - Boost Libraries - BIGING
From: swagat konchada (swagatata_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-23 14:20:06

Hello everyone!

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Andrew Sutton <andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Hi Swagat,
>
> We are glad that you are interested in submitting a proposal for Boost in
> this year's GSoC program. However, it's hard to comment on your proposal
> unless you provide details about what you intend to do over the course of
> the summer. GSoC is a very competitive program, and Boost is particularly
> selective about awards.
>
> Please see [1] for ideas on how to write a good proposal.

Thanks to Andrew Sutton for his kind reply and the relevant link. They have
been of great use to me.

I had a look around in the Boost Sandbox and I found a BigInt implementation
done by zeux during GSoC 07. I had a look at the code and I wanted to know
its deficiencies. I'm interested in proposing a BigDecimal implementation
that is building on this code. There are 2 questions that I wanted to ask
the list before moving further on this track:

1. Is there sufficient interest for a BigDecimal proposal on the lines of
the Java implementation of BigDecimal (or has there been some prior work
that can be used as a foundation?)
2. What are the deficiencies of BigInt that have prevented its inclusion
into the Boost distribution so as to address the same as part of my GSoC
proposal.

Thanking you,

Yours sincerely,

--
Problem is a phenomenon indicating lack of thought.
Swagat Konchada