Subject: Re: [boost] 5 Observations - My experience with the boost libraries
From: Brian Wood (woodbrian77_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-23 19:52:18

Tom Brinkman writes:
>> Exceptions are a fact of C++ life. You can't avoid them if for no other
>> reason than std::bad_alloc, unless you don't allocate from the free
store.

> Not true, there are no-throw versions of std::new.
>
> In any event, my point is that c++ exception handeling should be optional.
> Boost libraries need to be updated to reflect this.

I used to support both return codes and exceptions.
Eventually I gave up supporting return codes, because
attempting to support both was quite difficult. Dropping
support for return codes was kind of a difficult decision
for me -- but after not being able to think of another
project that supports both, I decided to only support
exceptions. Since making that decision, I feel I'm able
to make faster progress in other areas. Do you know
of any libraries that support both return codes and
exceptions?

--
Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises