Subject: Re: [boost] 5 Observations - My experience with the boost libraries
From: David Bergman (David.Bergman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-23 19:54:14

On Mar 23, 2010, at 7:40 PM, Tom Brinkman wrote:

>>> To you. There are many graphics shops that make extensive use of c++
> *and* boost.
>
> Not true. Sure, we use C++ around the edges. The actual graphics code is
> all done in C. There are no popular C++ graphics libraries. Sorry. Its
> not possible, graphics libraries require hardware acceleartion.

I never understood this idea that some libraries were not possible to build in C++. And, specifically, what graphics hardware acceleration has to do with C++(-specific) constructs. Are there intrinsic inefficiencies of C++ constructs (beside one indirection by virtual functions where they are used)? Is it something else? Yes, most low-level API's require a pointer to a memory area in the end, but does that force us to constantly send that raw pointer around?

/David